Scripture: 2 Peter 3:18
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.
4 Ways to Work on Building a Relationship with God
- Make up your mind, that this is what you want to do.
- Spiritual growth does not just happen; you have to work on it. Set your heart on it and make it your priority. – 1 Corinthians 3
- Break up your own will.
- Your will should be surrendered and in alignment with God’s will. – Hebrew 13:20-21
- Wake up your faith.
- We need to obey the leadings of God’s Spirit, the Holy Spirit. Don’t be afraid to do things that you haven’t done before. It’s time for the church to have faith. Hebrews 11:6 – without faith it is impossible to please God.
- Take up your cross – Matthew 16:24-25
Ash Wednesday emphasizes a dual encounter: we confront our own mortality and confess our sin before God within the community of faith. The use of ashes as a sign of mortality and repentance has a long history in Jewish and Christian worship, and the Imposition of Ashes can be a powerful nonverbal and experiential way of participating in the call to repentance and reconciliation. This practice is the historic focus of Ash Wednesday and gave the day its name.