- This event has passed.
Purple Ribbons of Hope
October 30, 2016 @ 11:45 am - 12:15 pm
October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. It is a time to be reminded of the hidden acts of violence against many women, children and men. It is a time to show support to end domestic violence by displaying or wearing the color purple during the month of October. The color purple traditionally suggests royalty, strength and courage. Unfortunately, it can also represent the bruises and pain many have sustained at the hands of abusers. Together we can make the color purple a symbol of hope for all.
Voices of Tamar Ministry at Wesley United Methodist Church (WUMC) advocate and provide resources for individuals and families impacted by domestic violence and sexual abuse. On Sunday, October 30, 2016 following the morning service at WUMC; Voices of Tamar, WUMC congregation and community members will tie purple ribbons on the church grounds. It is our way to support continuous awareness of domestic violence and sexual abuse to individuals of faith-based communities, as well as to the greater Austin community.
The individual purple ribbons personalized by WUMC congregants and community members will contain a bible verse, a drawing, initials, or a personal message for those whose lives have been impacted by domestic violence and/or sexual abuse. Pastor Sylvester Chase will deliver a prayer in remembrance of those affected. We encourage your participation!
How to Participate at Wesley UMC
- Contact Wesley’s UMC Church Office (512-478-7007) to request pre-cut purple ribbons. Ribbons will be available at the church’s office beginning Wednesday, October 5 thru Wednesday, October 25. Office hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Personalize your purple ribbons with a bible verse, a drawing, a personal message, or initials of the individual who has been impacted by domestic violence.
- Bring your personalized purple ribbon to the church office by Thursday, October 25 to be displayed on the church grounds on Sunday, October 30.
- Or join the congregation on Wesley UMC grounds with your personalized purple ribbon (s) on Sunday, October 30, 2016 between 11:45 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. following the church service. We will display the purple ribbons and have a prayer led by Pastor Sylvester Chase.
How to Participate at your Church or Organization
- Purchase purple ribbons or contact WUMC’s Office at 512-478-7007 to request free pre-cut purple ribbons. Ribbons will be available at the church’s office beginning Wednesday, October 5 thru Wednesday, October 25. Office hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Personalize your purple ribbons with a bible verse, a drawing, a personal message or initials of the individual who has been impacted by domestic violence.
- Display purple ribbons in a prominent location of your institution to help raise awareness and show support for individuals of domestic violence.
There are many silent individuals who need the love and care from the church and the greater Austin community. Please join Voices of Tamar Ministry by showing your support in the spiritual and secular fight against domestic violence and sexual abuse on Sunday, October 30, 2016 between 11:45 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. on the grounds of Wesley United Methodist Church.
Peace and Blessings,
Voices of Tamar Ministry @ Wesley UMC
Debra J. Johnson, PhD, Coordinator