1 John 3 New Living Translation (NLT)
See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don’t recognize that we are God’s children because they don’t know him. 2 Dear friends, we are already God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is. 3 And all who have this eager expectation will keep themselves pure, just as he is pure.
Written to Christians who are unsure of themselves. They had fallen out with one another. Some proclaimed to be the perfect children of God and had no problem with sin. But they showed no love for the brothers and sisters in the church.
The writer told the people that God is the Father and their savior.
We don’t want to be rejected by anyone.
There is a fear of rejection that is so intense that we protect ourselves.
1. In trying to protect ourselves, we vow never to let anyone get close enough to hurt us again. But by closing others out, we close ourselves in, and all of our relationships suffer.
2. We put on our best game face day after day. We pretend to be tough and we don’t need anybody. But after a while we find out that nobody meets our needs.
3. We go around pushing others away. When we feel rejected we imagine that we’re being attacked even when we are not.
4. We try to buy rejection protection. We do this by doing favors for people.
5. We try to be perfect all the time.
You will keep attracting the wrong people with this diminished sense of worth. Your self worth should come only from God or else you will always be vulnerable. Your critics will diminish you and you will never be discovered for the unique and wonderful person that you are.
You were made by Jesus and He loves you just the way you are.